It’s never too early to start thinking about next season. Check out our grades for all 30 NBA teams
How did your team do?
We’re coming up on the end of the NBA regular season and it’s been a wild one. We’ve seen some dominant teams, surprise teams, and unfortunately, some teams that just didn’t live up to expectations. But how did your team do? Here’s a look at how each team did this season, according to our grades.
The Toronto Raptors also had a disappointing season, despite having the best record in the Eastern Conference at 56-26. They were swept in the first round of the playoffs by the Cleveland Cavaliers We grade them a C+.
A look at each team
Atlanta Hawks: B
The Hawks had a solid Regular Season finishing fourth in the Eastern Conference with a 44-28 record. They lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Brooklyn Nets but there are still plenty of positives to take away from this season. The Hawks have a young core of talented players, and they should be even better next year.
Boston Celtics: C+
The Celtics finished the regular season strong, but they were unable to sustain that level of play in the playoffs. They lost in the first round to the Milwaukee Bucks and it was clear that they were not as good as advertised. The Celtics have some work to do if they want to be contenders next year.
Brooklyn Nets: A-
The Nets had a great season, finishing second in the Eastern Conference with a 49-23 record. They made it to the second round of the playoffs before losing to the Miami Heat The Nets have a lot of talent on their roster, and they should be one of the top teams in the East again next year.
Charlotte Hornets: D+
The Hornets finished the Regular Season with a disappointing 36-46 record. They did not make the playoffs, and it is clear that they are not close to being contenders. The Hornets need to make some changes if they want to be competitive next year.
Chicago Bulls: B-
The Bulls had a solid season, finishing seventh in the Eastern Conference with a 42-30 record. They lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Boston Celtics but there are still plenty of positives to take away from this season. The Bulls have a young core of talented players, and they should be even better next year.
The best and worst teams
The best teams
1. The Milwaukee Bucks are the best team in the league. They have the best record in the NBA, and they have been absolutely dominant on both ends of the court. Led by MVP candidate Giannis Antetokounmpo the Bucks have been almost impossible to stop.
2. The Los Angeles Lakers have been the second-best team in the league. Despite struggles early in the season, they have turned things around and now sit atop the Western Conference standings. Lebron James is playing at an MVP level, and Anthony Davis has been nearly as good.
3. The Toronto Raptors have been the surprise of the league. They lost Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green in Free agency but they have not skipped a beat. They are currently second in the East, and they look like a legitimate title contender.
4. The Houston Rockets have been one of the most enjoyable Teams to Watch this season. They are leading the league in scoring, and their small-ball lineup has been incredibly effective on both ends of the court. Russell Westbrook has fit in perfectly next to James Harden and they look like a dangerous team come playoff time.
The worst teams
1. The Golden State Warriors have had a forgettable season thus far. They lost Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson to injuries, and they haven’t been able to replace their production. Stephen Curry has kept them afloat, but they are currently last in the West with a 5-24 record.
2. The Cleveland Cavaliers have also struggled without their star player as Kevin Love has missed most of the season with an injury. Collin Sexton has looked good at times, but he can’t do it alone and Cleveland has struggled as a result. They currently own the Worst Record in the league at 5-25..
3 New York Knicks – F This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for New York, but even tanking hasn’t gone according to plan.. Kristaps Porzingis was traded away midseason, leaving them without a true star player . They have shown some promise from youngsters like RJ Barrett and Mitchell Robinson , but they haven’t won many games as a result.. 4 Chicago Bulls – C+ Like New York, Chicago entered this season with lowered expectations.. Zach LaVine has been their best player , but he hasn’t gotten much help from his supporting cast.. Lauri Markkanen hasn ‘ t taken a step forward , and Wendell Carter Jr . missed significant time due to injury .. The Bulls are currently 11 th in . 5 Atlanta Hawks – C+ Atlanta is another young team that is still trying to find its way .. Trae Young has taken some strides , but he is still learning how to play against NBA defenses .. John Collins has emerged as one of their best players , but he is currently suspended for violating
The most improved teams
The most improved teams in the NBA this season according to our grades, were the Indiana Pacers and the Phoenix Suns The Pacers, who finished with a 48-34 record last season, improved by 5.7 wins to 54-28 this season. The Suns went from being the Worst Team in the league last season to a middle-of-the-pack team this season. They improved by 5.5 wins, going from 21-61 to 26-56.
The biggest surprise teams
Every year, a few teams in the NBA outperform expectations. Here are the five biggest surprise teams this season:
The biggest disappointment teams
The NBA season is now past the halfway point, and we have a pretty good idea of which teams are contending for a playoff spot and which teams are not.
While there have been some pleasant surprises (such as the Miami Heat and the Brooklyn Nets), there have also been some big disappointments. Here are five teams that have not lived up to expectations so far this season:
1. The Los Angeles Lakers – After adding Lebron James and Anthony Davis in the offseason, the Lakers were expected to be one of the best teams in the NBA. However, they currently sit at 27-25, which is good for ninth place in the Western Conference Their defense has been especially bad, as they rank 28th in the league in points allowed per game.
2. The Oklahoma City Thunder – The Thunder were another team that many expected to contend for a top spot in their conference. However, they currently sit at 26-25, which is good for 10th place in the Western Conference Russell Westbrook has been great as usual, but Paul George has been disappointing and the team has struggled to find consistent scoring outside of those two players.
3. The Philadelphia 76ers – The 76ers were expected to be one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference after adding Jimmy Butler and Tobias Harris last offseason. However, they currently sit at 31-20, which is good for fifth place in the conference. They have struggled with injuries and consistency all season long and have not looked like a true contender thus far.
4. The Houston Rockets – The Rockets added Chris Paul last offseason to team up with James Harden in an attempt to dethrone the Golden State Warriors as the best team in the Western Conference However, they currently sit at 29-22, which is good for seventh place in the conference. They have struggled with injuries and chemistry issues all season long and look like a long shot to make a deep playoff run this year.
5. The Minnesota Timberwolves – The Timberwolves were expected to take another step forward this season after adding Jimmy Butler last year and Karl-Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins continued to develop into young stars However, they currently sit at 23-28, which is good for 11th place in the Western Conference They have had trouble scoring goals all season long and do not look like a playoff team at this point.
The most interesting teams
There are a few teams that stand out as being particularly interesting this season. The first is the Golden State Warriors who managed to turn things around after a rough start and make it to the playoffs. They were helped by the addition of All-Star player Kevin Durant but they also showed promise with their young core of players. Another team that had a good season was the Toronto Raptors who made it to the Eastern Conference Finals They have a solid mix of young and experienced players, and they are led by one of the best players in the NBA, Kawhi Leonard Finally, the Houston Rockets had a great season, thanks in part to the stellar play of their two All-Stars, James Harden and Chris Paul They will be a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.
The best and worst moves
Here’s a look at the best and worst moves so far:
--Houston Rockets The Rockets landed one of the biggest prizes in free agency signing point guard Chris Paul to team up with MVP runner-up James Harden They also added some much-needed shooting by signing veteran swingman PJ Tucker.
--Oklahoma City Thunder The Thunder made a big splash by acquiring All-Star Paul George from the Indiana Pacers George gives them another top-tier player to pair with Russell Westbrook and makes them instant contenders in the Western Conference
-New York Knicks The Knicks made a risky move by trading for Chicago Bulls star Jimmy Butler Butler has been hampered by injuries the past few seasons, and it’s unclear how he’ll fit in with New York’s young core of Kristaps Porzingis and others.
The most intriguing storylines
The most intriguing storylines of the NBA offseason
The biggest questions moving forward
As the dust settles on an eventful offseason, we’re left to wonder: How did each team do? We all know the big names that switched teams, but role players and depth matter just as much. Let’s grade each team’s offseason and examine the biggest questions moving forward for each squad.
The Cavs made some big changes this offseason, most notably shipping Kyrie Irving to Boston for a package that Isaiah Thomas Jae Crowder Ante Zizic and a 2018 first-Round Draft pick. The memory of Irving’s game-winning 3-pointer in Game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals will live on forever, but the Cavs made the right move by trading him while his value was high. They also added veteran scoring Dwyane Wade and former All-Derrick Rose to bolster their backcourt rotation.
The Cavs’ biggest question moving forward is how they will mesh with all of their new pieces. It will be interesting to see how Wade and Rose mesh with Lebron James in the backcourt, and if they can develop enough chemistry to make another run at an NBA title Overall, the Cavs had a solid offseason and should be contenders once again in the Eastern Conference